When you feel “grounded”, your base chakra is activated and your more connected to the earth. You feel safe, connected to those around you, peaceful, present and financially stable!
With the world around us, it’s easy to become ungrounded. Technology, failure to breathe, not paying attention to where you are and what your doing will all contribute to you feeling unstable, confused, lonely and out of control of where you are in life.
So because this world is crazy and we all need fast ways to ground now, here are my 5 top tips (which I find myself having to apply most days!):
1. BREATHE! Number 1 and the easiest way to bring yourself back to here and now. Now here is the tricky part, most of us don’t know how to breathe effectively. The things to remember are:
- Breathe through your nose
- Bring your breath down into your belly filling your lower abdomen and making it stick out, middle chest and then upper chest.
- Breathe out first from your abdomen bringing it in towards your spine, then middle chest and then upper chest.
- Count to 5 whilst breathing in, hold for 1 and count out for 5 to begin with, hold for 1 and repeat.
2. Concentrate and focus on where you are. Look around you! What are you actually doing right now? Time will pass and things will get done, but they wont get done
well or effectively if your mind is elsewhere. If you have to get things out of your head, write them down.
3. Place both feet in the floor and sit/stand up straight. Pay attention to the position of your body and where you are in space. How are you meant to feel centered when you are not aware of where your center is?!
4. Use the base chakra mudra. Straighten your index and middle fingers; place your thumb against your ring and your little fingers at the tips, forming a circle. Take deep, slow, Normal Breaths. Concentrate on your base Chakra and the soles of both feet. I use this while I’m walking, whilst sitting at traffic lights or when just trying to get my head straight.
5. Walk barefoot. Get your feet out of your shoes and outside into the earth or the sand. You will be surprised at how much more energised you will feel!
I know I said 5 but this one is too good to give up!
6. Gardening. Physically get acquainted with the earth!
After all of these things, watch your self become more centered, present and at peace with your life!